Station Number Four 2017-09-13T21:30:49+00:00

STATION #4

246 Jefferson St.

Opened: 1904

Neighborhoods served:

  • Downtown
  • Transylvania
  • Manchester
  • Rupp Arena

History:

Named the “Vogt Reel House” for Henry Vogt, a former chairmen of the Fire Committee of the Board of City Councilmen, Station #4 is Lexington’s oldest operating firehouse. It sits on land donated by Vogt to the city for as long as the city keeps an active fire station there. The building was built in the neo-Jacobean style and has survived for over 100 years. The station includes an active fire pole and an antique metal spiral staircase. It sustained moderate structural damage in November of 2007 when a van struck the station after the driver suffered a medical emergency. Station #4 is reportedly haunted and is a stop on ghost tours given each Halloween.