Loading...
Station Number Six 2017-03-08T22:50:31+00:00

501 South Limestone

Opened: 1916

Neighborhoods served:

  • South Hill
  • western UK campus
  • Irish Bottoms
  • Pralltown
  • Downtown
  • Elizabeth Park
  • Medical Village
  • Southend Park
  • Angliana

History:

Originally called the Scovell Engine House after Melville A. Scovell, a prominent agricultural leader, Station #6 was built in the bungalow style. The top of the hose tower that was once used to dry cotton-jacketed fire hoses is still visible today. Station #6 was also the location of all LFD training until the current Training Academy was built in 1969. The grounds once featured a five-story training tower, visible-type gas pumps for the trucks to refuel and a burn building. In 1984, the station was remodeled and a large addition was built over the original foundation of the training tower. The addition included three new apparatus bays that replaced the single bay.